There is a deadline looming on the not-so-distant horizon, so of course I’m writing a post! But it’ll just be a quick one. As it says in the title, I got nominated for a Liebster Award by nishiink! To save time, I will just give a very short overview of what it is (the post will be long enough anyway):
It’s an award to promote little known blogs (less than 200 followers). If nominated you have to answer 11 questions posted by the nominater, plus 11 random facts about yourself. Plus nominate 11 more bloggers you like.
Now this last one gives me a bit of trouble, as I mostly read the well-known blogs (the likes of Oonaballoona or Gertie’s blog), but I have around 5 lesser known but nonetheless awesomesauce blogs in my reader I’d like to share, which are:
Dominique of That Funny Mama
Julianne of Made by Julianne
Melwyk of Magpie Makery
Sophie-Lee of tworandomwords
Corinna of Swissette
If you have more than 200 followers or if you don’t do (or have already done) Liebster Awards, please ignore and please don’t feel offended!
My questions for you:
1. What is your favourite pastime?
2. What do you love cooking/eating the most?
3. What is you favourite fictional character and why?
4. What do you like most about your life?
5. How do you manage your stash (if you have one)? (This is shameless digging for solutions…)
6. What is your favourite make?
7. Which part do you dislike most about creating?
8. Winter or Summer?
9. If you could choose from any animal that ever existed, what pet would you like to have?
10. Why do you sew/knit/create?
11. What is your favourite place on Earth?
And now here are my answers to the questions nishiink asked me:
1. Why did you start sewing/knitting?
I had to learn at school. Handicrafts are a compulsory subject in my part of Switzerland. I also learned how to work with wood, stone and metal. However, since my Granma used to be a trained seamstress (though she never worked as one), sewing was kind of a thing in our family, so I stuck to it (it helped that my mum has a Bernina at home). I only (at first reluctantly) took up knitting again about 4 years ago, when my Granddad asked me to knit a pair of socks for him.
2. What is your favourite book (or type of book) and why?
I love the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. I like them because of the humor and cross-references to (and twisting of ) literary and scientific traditions. It’s hard to pinpoint an absolute favourite out of the (currently) 40 books, but it’s usually either “Witches Abroad” or “Night Watch”.
3. What was your dream job when you were a child?
It changed over time. At 7 years old it was hairdresser. But my mum let me know this wasn’t an option. When I was 15 (the age at which you are supposed to choose a profession in Switzerland) I briefly wanted to be a chef or a pharmaceutical assistant. Being a chef still kind of is a dream job of mine (but I know it’s a hell of a demanding job).
4. Do you have any special skills?
No. I am delightfully average.
5. Why do you blog?
I had initial illusions of grandeur, wanting to be the next Oona or Gertie. But I soon realised it takes a lot of passion and dedication, and I’m not really big on either (see question above). Then I moved from Switzerland to Finland and it’s become a way for me to show family and friends back there what I’m up to. And show off the stuff I make. I like to boast a little bit sometimes. :D
6. What is your proudest moment?
When I finally got a degree.
7. And most embarrassing moment?
Too many to mention. I have severe foot-in-mouthitis.
8. If you could have a super power, what would it be?
Teleportation! I love being in a new environment, but I hate the getting there part.
9. What are you most frightened of?
Losing the ones I love.
10. What do you find hardest about sewing/knitting?
Finishing. A dress can easily hang waiting for hemming for a several weeks. Same with weaving in ends.
11. If you could visit any place in time, where would you go?
Sooo many choices! Possibly I’d like to visit a cambrian Earth. Just to see what it would look like without any vegetation and to see the shallow coastal seas.
For this next part I will cheat a little bit, taking the first five random facts about myself from the blog tag kessanlin had tagged me in a year ago:
11 Random Facts About Me
1. I’m the eldest of 3 siblings and therefore rather bossy and know-it-all sometimes. On the other hand I can be very protective and nourishing (literally).
2. While I love traveling, I’m not very easy to travel with, as I get cranky on trips. I only ever enjoy trips after they’re over. But then I really like remembering them. I guess I just need time to absorb everything I see.
3. I’m a librarian. However, I don’t particularly enjoy reading. Not more than any regular person anyway. I LOVED it as a child, and I even studied English literature at University, but right now I prefer to spend my time creating through handicrafts, rather than consuming. (And playing computer games)
4. I’m both a cat and a dog person. Heck, I’m a tarantula person! If we stayed put for long enough, I guess we’d get a zoo of animals.
5. My favourite ice cream flavour is coconut with lemongrass. There was a Mövenpick special edition some years ago that I just can’t get out of my head. *sigh*
6. I eat my Nutella sandwich with butter (everything’s better with butter!).
7. I trace all sewing patterns (except the pdf ones where one piece fits on 1 page).
8. This is going to be cheesy: PB (PH?) and I met on each other’s first day of work.
9. While I love animals, all my plants die miserably.
10. I would love to own a B&B one day.
11. I’m 21 weeks pregnant.