We’ve arrived in Los Angeles about a week ago. We are already settled in quite comfortably, but still exploring the neighbourhood. But more on that when I have some more and prettier pictures than this one:
So far I tried to keep some balance of topics between posts. However, as I will not be able to sew for the next three months I sewed the hell out of my stash just before leaving and naturally want to write about it. So sorry for the one-sided posting! It will soon be biased towards other stuff than sewing, such as cooking and knitting (I’m already halfway through a cabled sweater). But first, here’s a project that I’m simultaneously proud of and a bit unsure about:
As I had mentioned in that post, I had some wool bouclé (or tweed? not quite sure anymore) left over from the Burda cowl neck dress. Coincidentally at around the same time Sewaholic released their Cordova jacket pattern. I was instantly in love with it! However, I was somehow intimidated by it and waited until one week before departure to start cutting. The remnant was only 1.5m long plus some odd shaped piece, which added to my insecurity. Eventually I kicked myself into action and managed to squeeze out all the pieces for view A.
Because I waited so long to start I did not go about this project as carefully as I should and normally would. I didn’t mark all of the notches (only the pleats at the sleeve), and it showed. The top peplum edges at the front didn’t match up (the were off for about 2.5cm), so I had to do some fiddling with the zipper placement. Now they are even enough not to notice. No such problems at the back, though:
What is visible in this shot, however, is the fit. It is off. The jacket is HUGE on me. I tried to remedy that by taking in the center front and back by about 3cm each. But the above picture is the result from this. Still too big. On the up side, I can fit a thick woolen sweater under the jacket with no problems, but considering this is more of a Spring jacket I’m not too happy about it. Tasia wrote in the pattern description that the jacket can be easily fitted because of the princess seams. That is technically true, but I didn’t know how to go about it with the peplums, as they span all the seams except center front and back.
So the jacket doesn’t fit as nicely as the one Tasia is wearing in her Cordova anouncement post. Now, it might be that my fabric stretched, as it is woven quite loosely. However, I think it’s the pattern that runs large, as my measurements correspond *exactly* to the size 8 in the sizing table. But to be sure it’s the pattern that is big and not the fabric that stretched I will “unfortunately” have to make another version in a sturdy denim as soon as I’m back home. ;)
I really like the design and I’m very proud of the jacket, as you can see from the next picture:
It’s a lined jacket after all! (Although I have to say that the credit for how easily this came together goes to Tasia, as the instructions are very clear, as usual). It is also very comfortable to wear and I’m happy I brought it with me, as it is colder than I expected (and packed for) here in Venice. Due to that (I’m freezing more here than back home) I started working on a cabled sweater the day after we arrived (1 week ago). I’m already almost done with the body of it. So next post will either be about the neighbourhood (in case it gets warm and sunny) or about a new sweater (in case it stays cold and foggy).