PB’s Mamma has emphatically been requesting this post, so a sewing post it is again. Next one will be a food one, I promise!
I don’t know if I have mentioned it before, but the first 6 weeks of being back home, I was home alone. PB was working and attending conferences in Italy, and I had to prepare for the exam. But of course I couldn’t just study. I took advantage of being alone and would sew every day and mess up the whole apartment in the process.
I’d had ordered the Sewaholic Saltspring dress shortly before returning and immediately set out to make it. I was a good girl and used some silk/cotton blend poplin from the stash (originally intended for a Sencha). As I didn’t have a lot, I made the shorter version.
I hadn’t been sure whether this silhouette would suit me, but was convinced after seeing this picture. I didn’t have plans on making any more, because winter was/is approaching and I should be sewing winter stuff, not more summer dresses. But then I came across this Hawaiian print I brought home from our trip there when trying to find something else (which I still haven’t found). Plus I still hadn’t put away the pattern pieces, so it was clearly meant to be. I thought the print begged to be made into the maxi version:
I though it would be nice to see the two versions together, hence the above picture. I did a review of this pattern on patternreview.com, here’s the link to it: Saltspring pattern review.
Then I realised I still hadn’t made the lounge pants I had been planning to make since September 2011 (eek!). I had all of the necessary ingredients, so finally traced the pattern from the Burda Style magazine 08/2011. I hate tracing, so that’s what usually keeps me from starting a project (I trace all patterns). After this was done, the pants came together really quickly.
I still don’t know how to make interesting and/or artistic selfies, so tried to emulate the model’s pose from the magazine. I wrote a bit more about this project (plus more pictures) on burdastyle.
Speaking of taking my time to execute my sewing plans. Cake Patterns have just announced the 1 year anniversary of their first pattern, the Tiramisu dress. Incidentally, I had made my first version just three weeks before. I had planned to blog about it including a tiramisu recipe. However, I didn’t have good pictures of the food version, so postponed. I will upload the recipe at one point, but for now there’s just the dress:
Again, I was a good girl and used stash fabric, which incidentally also was intended for a top. Why I would buy so much fabric for a top eludes me now, especially as it wasn’t cheap fabric. But I’m the happier for it now!
Seeing as how I was in a sewing frenzy, I turned my attention to things I had meant to fix for AGES (sounds familiar?). First, a Sewaholic Cambie dress I had made in summer 2012. Unfortunately, with this dress, my vanity got the best of me. Being used to going down one size from the Burda patterns, I looked at the finished measurements of the cambie and decided that size 4 was ideal (nope, 8 it would be). That was also before I found out about why you should add ease in a garment. Thanks to this dress, I now know why. While it was ok to wear while standing and walking, sitting got very uncomfortable very quickly. I looked fabulous, though:
The uncomfortableness is kind of visible in this picture. *suck in stomach* So I unpicked most of the dress, let out the front and back darts and added a new waistband:
Not as bombshell-alicious, but much more wearable! Then I tackled the dress with the opposite problem. The baggy Colette Chantilly. Luckily for me, I didn’t have to unpick anything to fix this. I essentially just took in the back bodice at the darts by a total of 3cm. Add in a new (padded) bra, and the dress fits much better now:
I also hemmed it, thus it’s a bit shorter than in the previous post. Now it’s fixed, I actually wear it (even with the cold weather we have at the moment). I combined it with tights and the PeggySue cardigan (now with buttons) to go to class, and got told by a classmate that I looked fabulous (his words). Ergo: it’s my favourite dress at the moment!
I got a bit exhausted after that and wanted something less prone to rushing. So I started to knit yet another sweater. One that would go with the stylish lounge pants. I had bought the yarn back in LA (free shipping…). It had been intended for a Sweatshirt Sweater, but I can’t seem to stick to any plans. I had also meant to try an Idlewood after I saw Tasia’s version. It’s a very unusual colour for me, but I kind of like it:
And that’s it. That’s what I made since coming back home. I am currently making an Anna dress (the pattern has finally arrived). I have to be careful with cutting the skirt pieces, as I have very little fabric. So I am stalling a bit. But for now: Have a good one!